TRBA Missions and Ministry

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Re-visiting The Purpose Of The Local Association

Have you ever questioned "why?" Naturally, all of our answers are a resounding "yes." When you discover the correct answer, what happens?

Over the past several months, Baptists have discussed what we refer to as the Great Commission a lot! Decisions were made at SBC 2010 that should have great impact on our denomination as a whole. TRBA is now planning for 2011 - preparing a budget, looking for people to serve, and yes - looking for new Ministry Assistant. All of these events and discussions have prompted me to look again to the life and work of our association - our PURPOSE.

I re-visited a powerpoint detailing the life and work of the association. There I saw the "Mission of the Association" as detailed some years ago (before I came to serve as Associational Missionary) stating what we would now call our purpose. The Mission Statement reads, "The MISSION of the Tar River Baptist Association is assisting member churches in becoming the church God intended His church to be through education, evangelism, fellowship, and missions."

If I were writing it today I probably would change some of the wording, but I can certainly work with the premise of the statement. I do believe it is the purpose of the local association to walk alongside the local church and help that church be the church that God is calling them to be in their community and around the world. If you have been around me much at all, you have heard me make that statement. In fact, if you have been in some meetings with me, you would have hjeard me state that I see my job as "working myself out of a job" as every church becomes all that is can become in Christ Jesus.

Another slide in that presentation dealt with the priorities of the association to enable us to fulfill our purpose. I have decided to "camp" on these "priorities to implement our mission" for a season. In my personal prayer time, I want to pray these things through. When I meet with TRBA staff, I want us to discuss them. As I meet with the ALT and the various committees working to prepare for 2011, I think it is a pretty good idea to reflect upon those things that we have said we want to accomplish as an association. In a recent personnel meeting I asked them to help me establish in the DNA of our association an attitude of evaluation and clarification. I believe that IF we are ever to become better, we MUST constantly evalaute what we are striving for, and clarify and hold accountable expectations. If we do not do that, we are more prone to wander than to wonder in what God is accomplishing in and through us as His people.

At this point, all I want to do is list what we have said are our MINISTRY PRIORITIES as an association. Things that we have said we must do IF we are going to accomplish our purpose as an association. I will proabably write a little commentary, but I ask you to join me in praying about these things.

1. "Strengthen Churches: assist (empower) churches so that can be more effective in their ministry." Please take note that I added the word EMPOWER in the brackets.
2. "Develop Leadership: train church leaders in administration/supervision skills, pastoral ministry, deacon ministry, crisis ministry, conflict resolutions, and planning skills."
3. Nurture Fellowship: encouraging church leaders and members to develop personal relationships."
4. Promote Missions: create awareness to mission opportunities - start new churches and ministries."

Over the next few weeks, I want to "reflect" upon these statements. As I do, I solicit input from you - members of TRBA. As I reflect, I plan to post as well.

Join me in praying for TRBA and the work God Has called us to do together. Please feel free to post your comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counters
Website Counters