TRBA Missions and Ministry

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How To Pray For Your Pastor

When I was a local church pastor, I was sometimes asked by a church member how they could lift me up in prayer. First, let me state how encouraging those words are to hear as a pastor! Second, let me admit I often missed the mark by asking for the more “personal and practical” as opposed to looking at the full picture of my calling and responsibility as a pastor.

Perhaps the best answer to that question was given by the Apostle Paul in Ephesians 6: 19, “and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel.” This verse tells the people of every church that they should pray that their pastor have:

Freedom in the delivery of the Word of God: “That utterance may be given to me…” Freedom in the delivery of the sermon is vital in communicating effectively the full Gospel message. Church members should pray that their pastor have that freedom in delivery of the Word.

Fearlessness in the defense of the Word of God: “That I May open my mouth boldly….” Unfortunately, there are pressures both within and outside the church culture upon your pastor to “back off” certain topics deemed controversial or confrontational. The reality is, true preaching of the Gospel IS confrontational to the accepted practices of the world. Pastors must be fearless to deliver the full message to defend the Word of God in a world that is contrary to the Word of God. Church members should pray for their pastors as they defend the Word of God.

Faithfulness to the doctrines of the Word of God: ”To make known the mystery of the Gospel….” This is a sacred commitment and the pastor must be faithful in making known those mysteries to the people. Pray for your pastor that he will be faithful.

The above three come from Ephesians 6: 19. Let me add one additional element of prayer for your pastor that hinges on recent (yet ongoing) events – pray that your pastor will be a faithful witness for the Living Lord Jesus Christ.

Your pastor is human. He faces the same struggles and temptations as all others. There is an attack on him in the position he serves. If the pastor is not faithful in his witness and falls, then he will impact the cause of Christ for the next generation. Pray for your pastor, that he will remain faithful and true as an effective witness for our Lord.

Please note that this is NOT an exhaustive list of items to use in praying for your pastor. Perhaps the most helpful thing you can do today is to let your pastor know you ARE PRAYING FOR HIM TODAY.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Counters
Website Counters